Faith in action

James 2:25-26 (Message translation)
"The same with Rahab, The Jericho harlot. Wasn't her action in hiding God's spies and helping them escape-
that seamless unity of believing and doing- what counted with God?
The very moment you separate body and spirit, you end up with a corpse.
Separate faith and works and you get the same thing: a corpse.
"

Thursday, March 17, 2011

Day 75- Holy Monkees!

That was one of Amanda's favorite expressions. The twist of the word Monkey is my own though. :)

I went to Borders book store today to get a book I had pre-ordered and check out their going out of business sale. I noticed all of the bookcases were for sale. We have been wanting bookcases for the basement/ cottage, but also have just been wanting them in general what seems like forever. We have boxes of books in boxes. Books do not belong in boxes, but shelves are hard to come by. Either they are too pricey, too cheap, too used , don't match, whatever, a majority of our books have remained in boxes. Until... I walked to the back of the store and saw four beautiful wood bookcases that had not been snatched up yet. Seven and a half feet tall and three feet wide each. For $40.00 each. What do you suppose went through my mind? Holy Monkeys!! I could hardly believe my luck. Or was it?
My husband picked them up and we set them up in our basement renovation in progress. I immediately started unpacking our books and putting them out in the open where they belong. Tim's Clancy novels, lots of Christian books, school books, classics, fiction, how-to, and then the treasure; all of my children's favorites from growing up. As I put them on the shelves I imagined my future grandchildren asking me to read to them, and I say, "How about this one, it was your dads favorite!" Various titles brought back so many memories. One of my favorite things to do was reading to my children. Amanda especially loved being read to, and then loved reading on her own. I came to the tub of her books. It  made me so happy to place them on the shelves to be seen and remembered. A persons books are a glimpse inside of their soul. Now I can go pull them out and remember those parts of her and all who see them will too. What a gift we received today! Thank you Father!

No comments:

Post a Comment