Faith in action

James 2:25-26 (Message translation)
"The same with Rahab, The Jericho harlot. Wasn't her action in hiding God's spies and helping them escape-
that seamless unity of believing and doing- what counted with God?
The very moment you separate body and spirit, you end up with a corpse.
Separate faith and works and you get the same thing: a corpse.
"

Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Day 10

Have you ever seen a 14 year old play the ukelele? It has got to be one of the coolest things ever.


      



 The next coolest thing is to have that same 14 year old with teenage insecurities decide to play his ukelele and sing Somewhere Over the Rainbow for an audition for The Wizard of Oz- the school spring production!


Jared, my son, the 14 year old I am talking about, texted me around 6 pm. I had planned on picking him up at the school around 8:30 after auditions were over. He was planning to try out to be one of the witch's guards for the play. You know- oo ee oo... oo ooo. He planned on just singing Happy Birthday for his audition and getting it over with. When he texted me I had just recently gotten home from a long day of memory testing-(another story for later perhaps)- and I was planning to write a letter to a persecuted Christian for my blog today.
I was just starting to settle in and get started when Jared texted and asked me if I would bring him his ukelele so that he could use it for his audition. It was snowing pretty good outside and my first inclination was to say no, you should have thought of that before and took it to school with you. But then I realized it was very much worth going out of my way to encourage him in this way of showing himself and his heart and talent to others. He had told me he was nervous and I had said to him, " Just be yourself and how can they help but love you!" So in this way I could help him "be himself".




 So I packed up the ukelele, and drove to the school where he was anxiously waiting for me at the doors. He hugged me and thanked me and went off to do his thing while I waited for him. I first went back to my car and just prayed for him. Then I went to the cafe and had a cup of coffee and waited. I thought this was the best way I could possibly have spent encouraging someone today. He was finally done around 8:30. He had waited until close to the end so not so many people were around. I could sense his feeling of pride that he had done something very difficult for him. He did not think he had done well but he was glad he had dared to do it and I was so glad too. I continued to tell him throughout the night how proud I was til my husband said that was probably enough :)

I got to thinking about the Wizard of Oz and how each character in it just needed a bit of encouragement!!

Dorothy- How much she was loved and needed at home

Scarecrow- His thinking was worthwhile

 Lion- His bravery was real

Tin man- His heart mattered 

The Wizard- He could really help someone


It seems to me that it was just so appropriate for a 14 year old boy on the brink of manhood to play his ukelele and sing somewhere over the rainbow.....WOW... I am the one encouraged today.  I love being a mom.


3 comments:

  1. I'm so proud of you for Blogging.. I feel somewhat close when I'm not. A great parent goes out of their way to encourage and support finding happiness and success later in life. You're an amazing mom and person and I love you dearly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. YAY for him :) by the way did he get the part or do you not no yet.
    love maddie

    ReplyDelete
  3. love you Jenna!

    Hi Maddie! He found out to day he will be an Ozonian- a citizen of Oz.

    ReplyDelete