Faith in action

James 2:25-26 (Message translation)
"The same with Rahab, The Jericho harlot. Wasn't her action in hiding God's spies and helping them escape-
that seamless unity of believing and doing- what counted with God?
The very moment you separate body and spirit, you end up with a corpse.
Separate faith and works and you get the same thing: a corpse.
"

Thursday, February 3, 2011

Day 33

Once again we had a snow day today-and that was good because we needed another day to finish up watching the Lord of the Rings! We only made it through the first two yesterday. So once again my work was on the blanket while I encouraged myself with the movie. There are so many quotes in the movie that startle my heart with their closeness. The words give form to many of the real battles and trials of life. Here is one in particular that resounds with me:

  
Frodo: "And thus it was. A fourth age of middle-earth began. And the fellowship of the ring, though eternally bound by friendship and love,was ended. Thirteen months to the day since Gandalf sent us on our long journey, we found ourselves looking upon a familiar sight. We were home. How do you pick up the threads of an old life? How do you go on, when in your heart you begin to understand... there is no going back? There are some things that time cannot mend, some hurts that go too deep... that have taken hold. Bilbo once told me his part in this tale would end. That each of us must come and go in the telling. Bilbo's story was now over. There would be no more journeys for him, save one. My dear Sam, you cannot always be torn in two. You will have to be one and whole for many years. You have so much to enjoy and to be and to do. Your part in the story will go on...."

I watch this movie once a year. Usually in the middle of winter when things are seemingly bleakest. It somehow always help to strengthen my resolve and my heart a bit. When Frodo leaves at the end, the look on his face is exactly how I picture Amanda's would be. A knowing smile and excitement for where she was going. It never fails to comfort me to see that look at the end of all the battles and the heavy burdens. It is an amazing story. I think I will get the books and read them. I never have.



  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q80NHbxj2v8

No comments:

Post a Comment